Covid-19 Update June

The Hayling Island Donkey Sanctuary Covid-19 Statement June 2020

Since the announcement that zoos and safari parks can re-open many have been asking if we are too. It is lovely our supporters are so eager to visit.

Unfortunately, it is not as simple as just opening, the changes we need to implement to accommodate and keep people safe on such a small site are very costly both in time and money. 

Despite the government easing lockdown, the country is still “on a knife edge” with regard to the R-rate. So far we have managed to keep the sanctuary team safe by having a skeleton number of carers working on site, our greatest fear is if any one of our team became infected, we would have to isolate the whole team – the consequences would be catastrophic for the welfare of the donkeys. The current situation is still tenuous and we feel it is prudent to wait a short while longer to ensure we get it right.

We hope all of you will understand our predicament, we want to open but it needs to be in a careful, considered way that protects us all, which in turn will allow us to continue supporting these wonderfull creatures.

We are deeply thankful for your invaluable support during these difficult times, we believe this careful patient approach will ensure we can all enjoy the donkeys company soon without any regrets.

With love and appreciation from the Hayling Island Donkey Sanctuary Team xxx

Scroll to top